1 of or relating to Fabianism; "the Fabian society"
2 using cautious slow strategy to wear down opposition; avoiding direct confrontation; "a fabian policy" [syn: dilatory] n : a member of the Fabian Society in Britain
EtymologyFrom the Latin Fabianus, belonging to Fabius, a Roman family name (borne by a general who won by avoiding decisive contests), possibly derived from faba "bean".
- A given name borne by an early pope, rare in English.
- A given name
- A given name
Fabian is the English form of the late Roman name Fabianus. This was the name given to freed (emancipated) slaves which originally belonged to a Roman family with the family (gens=clan) name Fabius, that derived from the Latin faba for the broad bean, an important food crop in the Roman Empire. It entered the English language with the Normans, but has never achieved the popularity of Fabien in France and Fabio or Fabiano in Italy.
Fabian may refer to these persons:
- Pope Fabian (died 250), saint to whom is dedicated the Chapel of Saints Fabian and Sebastian in Donji Humac on the island of Brač, Dalmatia,
- Fabian Månsson, Swedish Socialist (1872 - 1938),
- Fábián Imre, Hungarian musicologist and composer (in Hungary family names are put in front),
- Fabian (entertainer) (born 1943), 50's American teen idol,
- Andrew Fabian, (b 1948) British astronomer and astrophysicist.
- Fabian Nicieza, (b. 1961) comic book writer,
- Fabian Núñez, (b.1966) a politician,
- Buff Bagwell, (b. 1970) a professional wrestler who briefly performed as "Fabian",
- Fabian Hasler, (b. 1974) Swiss athlete, winner of Beck Award,
- Fabian Washington, (b. 1983), American Football player who currently plays for the Baltimore Ravens
- Fabian Basabe, socialite
- Fabian Albeker royal member of Guatemala,
as well as:
- The Fabian strategy of Fabius Maximus, part of military theory,
- Fabian Society, a socialist society in the UK devoted to such a long term strategy,
- Fabian, the Story of a Moralist, a novel by Erich Kästner,
- Fabian Cortez, fictional character in Marvel comics,
- Hurricane Fabian, a hurricane which affected Bermuda in 2003,
- Doug Fabian's (formerly Dick Fabian's, his father's) market timing service, according to Mark Hulbert of The Hulbert Financial Digest (formerly of Forbes) the best timer since 1980.
Fabian in German: Fabian
Fabian in French: Fabian
Fabian in Italian: Fabio
Fabian in Polish: Fabian
Fabian in Swedish: Fabian
Fabian socialist, Fourierist, Fourieristic, Marxist, Owenite, Saint-Simonian, collectivist, collectivistic, corrective, emendatory, extremist, gradualistic, meliorist, melioristic, phalansterian, progressionist, progressist, progressive, progressivist, radical, reformational, reformative, reformatory, reformer, reformist, reformistic, revisional, revisionist, revisory, revolutionary, socialist, socialistic, state socialist, utopian, utopian socialist, utopist